Skip to main content

Online Writing Class for National Poetry Month

I've decided to offer a 100% online poetry class for National Poetry Month this year. I've been wanting to put together a free-standing online class for quite a while now, and I'm finally giving it a try!

As most of you know, I teach online every quarter at Edmonds Community College, so I have a lot of experience in the distance learning format. The difference, of course, is that this class is completely independent of any college or other educational program.

Below is a description of the class and information on how to register.

*

Celebrate National Poetry Month by treating yourself to an affordable online poetry writing class with a helpful, down-to-earth instructor. Learn to write poems from the comfort of your home through a supportive, accessible online workshop. No previous experience with poetry writing or online classes required.

The course instructor, Amanda Laughtland, is a published poet with an MFA in English from the University of Washington. A trained and experienced online teacher, Amanda makes online learning a friendly, easy experience. For more about Amanda and to read samples of her published work, see http://teenytiny.org.

Students will write four poems over the course of one month (April 1-30) and receive constructive feedback from the instructor as well as other students. We'll also read a variety of published poetry and do freewriting exercises each week to generate ideas for poems. Students will receive instruction in free verse poetry, with emphasis on techniques like imagery, line breaks, repetition, and voice.

Limit of 12 students. Cost: $50. To sign up for this class, please use the following link to submit payment via PayPal:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=59JR3ZKN95TLQ

Note: When submitting payment, please indicate if you prefer to use a different email address for your participation in the class than the email attached to your PayPal account.

*

If you'd tell anyone who might be interested about this class and/or if you're willing to share this info via Facebook, Twitter, email, etc, I'd be very grateful! Also, if anyone has questions, please do send me an email (or feel free to comment on this blog post).

Comments

wendy lee lynds said…
I am so thrilled to have this resource from such a wonderful poet and teacher....okay, and friend, too!
YAY!!
Rebeka said…
What a great opportunity!!!
Thanks, Wendy and Rebeka, for your support! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Medium.com as a Place to Self-Publish (Kinda)

I started writing on Medium.com in late September of 2021, so I've been writing on the platform for eight full months now. Before I started on the site as a writer, I'd seen Medium articles come up in Google searches now and then, or my students had sometimes referred to articles in their papers. And I'd seen a couple YouTube videos about how Medium pays writers for their writing. Finally I decided to give it a try when I discovered that a lot of people read and share poetry on Medium. I thought it might be a fun way to find a new audience for my work and to meet other writers who are interested in different modes of self-publishing. It's not easy to get paid for your written work as a poet, so I thought it would be interesting to explore the possibilities on Medium. Medium is sort of a hybrid situation in terms of self-publishing. When you post work there, you still own the copyright. But instead of hosting the work on your own website or sharing it in a book or zine

New Zine and a Fundraiser for Kids in Foster Care

I'm excited to announce a new zine project from Teeny Tiny Press called Thank You . Using the classic Teeny Tiny format of an eight-page, single-sheet zine, Thank You collects a series of thank you notes in the form of poems and very short prose. Issue one includes work (in alphabetical order!) from Maura Alia Badji, X.P. Callahan, Del Ray Cross, Laura-Marie River Victor Nopales, BT Shaw, Eileen Tabios, and Mandy Zeller. To launch this zine, I'm doing a month-long fundraising drive (Aug 9-Sept 10) for Treehouse, a Seattle-based organization that helps kids and young adults in foster care. This is part of a larger back to school fundraising drive from Treehouse. They help kids with clothes, school supplies, books, toys, and much more. If you want a copy of the zine, donate an amount of your choice to Treehouse via https://engage.treehouseforkids.org/teenytinypress , and send me an email or instagram message with your mailing address. Then I'll send you the zine! Thank

Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my new blog! I'm hopeful that this will be a little easier and more versatile. I'm planning to use this blog (as I used the old one ) to post brand-new poems as I'm working on them. I've found that posting regularly can keep me going when I'm struggling to write, which is kind of happening lately. I'm working on poems about two things just now: the weather and home (my home and other people's homes). If you've been reading my work for a while, you're probably saying, "This is nothing new." If there is anything "new" in my current work, it's that I'm writing a little bit about the flooding and awful weather that hit Washington state in early December; it wasn't too bad where I live, but there's been all sorts of trouble not too far south of here. OK, to get the blog started, here's a new poem I worked on yesterday: Not Ours The privacy hedge half-hides our backyard, not much of our neigh