Skip to main content

A Springtime Poem I Wrote Years Ago

I saw some crocuses blooming yesterday, and they reminded me of a poem I wrote many years ago. I'm not sure exactly when I wrote this--I'm guessing 15 years ago. I can say for sure that this poem appeared in Bellowing Ark, a local literary magazine (which the Bellowing Ark website tells me is now defunct). Well then, here's a poem I wrote in the spring when I was in my 20s.

On an Errand

I found the cupboard far from bare
but lacking important ingredients
for banana muffins: wheat flour
and baking powder. So I drove
to the grocery store, pausing twice
at four-way stops and once more
to look (no cars were behind me)
at the tidy row of crocuses,
purple and white, beside the cemetery.

Comments

Rebeka said…
This poem gives such great imagery and insight to a girl in her 20s, taking in all her surroundings. I love it.

Popular posts from this blog

Medium.com as a Place to Self-Publish (Kinda)

I started writing on Medium.com in late September of 2021, so I've been writing on the platform for eight full months now. Before I started on the site as a writer, I'd seen Medium articles come up in Google searches now and then, or my students had sometimes referred to articles in their papers. And I'd seen a couple YouTube videos about how Medium pays writers for their writing. Finally I decided to give it a try when I discovered that a lot of people read and share poetry on Medium. I thought it might be a fun way to find a new audience for my work and to meet other writers who are interested in different modes of self-publishing. It's not easy to get paid for your written work as a poet, so I thought it would be interesting to explore the possibilities on Medium. Medium is sort of a hybrid situation in terms of self-publishing. When you post work there, you still own the copyright. But instead of hosting the work on your own website or sharing it in a book or zine ...

New Zine and a Fundraiser for Kids in Foster Care

I'm excited to announce a new zine project from Teeny Tiny Press called Thank You . Using the classic Teeny Tiny format of an eight-page, single-sheet zine, Thank You collects a series of thank you notes in the form of poems and very short prose. Issue one includes work (in alphabetical order!) from Maura Alia Badji, X.P. Callahan, Del Ray Cross, Laura-Marie River Victor Nopales, BT Shaw, Eileen Tabios, and Mandy Zeller. To launch this zine, I'm doing a month-long fundraising drive (Aug 9-Sept 10) for Treehouse, a Seattle-based organization that helps kids and young adults in foster care. This is part of a larger back to school fundraising drive from Treehouse. They help kids with clothes, school supplies, books, toys, and much more. If you want a copy of the zine, donate an amount of your choice to Treehouse via https://engage.treehouseforkids.org/teenytinypress , and send me an email or instagram message with your mailing address. Then I'll send you the zine! Thank...

Class Canceled and an Update

I had to cancel the Only Connect class that I was going to run from mid-May to mid-June. In the few years that have passed since I last offered an independently-run online writing class, the world of online classes has changed a lot. Pretty much any class you'd want to take online is available now because of the shift to online since the pandemic began. So it's a lot harder as an instructor to enroll enough students to run an online class since there are a huge amount of options now--and people are also experiencing fatigue with being online, whereas before an online creative writing class was more of a novelty. As for the update, I decided to shift toward offering individualized work with writers instead. I plan to build a new website in the weeks ahead and post more information about this. I'm offering individualized feedback and writing assignments for anyone who wants to work one on one with me on their writing. If this is something that interests you, please zip m...